170 South Chambers Road-Ward III
Built: 1902-Landmarked 1989
Local Historic Landmark
The DeLaney Farm Historic District encompasses 158 acres of open space and restored farm buildings that date from 1866 to 1945. The buildings include the historic Delaney Round Barn and John Gully Homestead House. The DeLaney family for raising horses, dairy cattle, and other livestock originally used this area. The DeLaney Farm Historic District is a valuable example of the history of farming and ranching in the Aurora area from the 1880’s.
4950 S. Laredo St.- Ward VI
Built 1922-Landmarked 1984
National Register of Historic Places
This two-room schoolhouse originally served the outlying community of Melvin. In 1949, the structure was moved to make way for the Cherry Creek Reservoir. After 17 years of use as a tavern, the Cherry Creek Valley Historical Society moved the school to its current location on the grounds of Smokey Hill High School. The building is owned and maintained by the Cherry Creek School District. Interesting note: in addition to normal duties, teachers were contracted to ”do all janitor work” and earned a salary of $100 a month.